- Grate the raw potatoes alternately with the onion or cut raw potatoes and onions in small pieces and use blender or processor.
- Mix in the eggs, salt, pepper, matzah meal or flour.
- Let mixture rest for about 5 minutes so that the mixture will get thicker.
- In a large frying pan over medium high heat, heat vegetable oil that is 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep in the frying pan until hot but not smoking.
- To form each latke use a large spoon to transfer some of the potato mixture to the frying pan.
- Fry latkes until they are well browned on both sides and crisp around the edges.
- Drain the latkes well on paper towels.
Note: Latkes can be served immediately or kept warm in the oven at 250 degrees.
They can also be frozen by placing them in between layers of aluminum foil. To re-heat place frozen latkes in oven (single layer ) in a 400 pre-heated oven for 10 minutes until they are crispy around the edges.
Serve with apple sauce and sour cream.